Backround and context of the project:
Údarás na Gaeltachta is celebrating forty years in existence in 2020, and is organising a series of events with special focus on- • The Gaeltacht over the last forty years. • The Gaeltacht today. • The future of the Gaeltacht.
The aim of the celebration is to draw attention to Údarás na Gaeltachta’s positive influence on the Gaeltacht over the last forty years and on the importance of the organisation in relation to the survival of the Gaeltacht and of the Irish language within it, to draw that attention from and amongst national and Gaeltacht media, stakeholders and the Gaeltacht community.
Project Aims: To create and present a celebratory exhibition, a reflective journey of Gaeltacht visual arts over the last forty years, drawing attention to the high calibre of work created by professional Gaeltacht artists during that time.
• To celebrate forty years of Údarás na Gaeltachta with an inspiring and imaginative visual arts exhibition of work by professional Gaeltacht artists, presented to excellent standards. .
• Support the careers of professional Gaeltacht artists and to showcase their work.
• Raise the profile of Gaeltacht artists and of the Gaeltacht Arts, within the Gaeltacht and nationally.
• Grow participation and audiences for the visual arts within the Gaeltacht.
• To support the delivery of Ealaín na Gaeltachta’s 2018 -2022 strategy.
Ealaín na Gaeltachta/Údarás na Gaeltachta intend to seek furhter funding to tour the exhibition in 2021, produce a hard-copy publication and provide mentoring in curation within the Gaeltacht regions.
Role of the Curator:
The Curator will lead the development and the production of the exhibition. Their responsibilities will include: -
• Choosing a theme for the exhibiton in consultation with Ealaín na Gaeltachta.
• Researching Gaeltacht artists and devising a selection process.
• Providing a curatorial plan and a project plan.
• Managing the development and production budget for the exhibition.
• Liaising with the selected artists and with other owners of the selected works
• Designing and delivering the exhibition digitally/online and in a Gaeltacht venue.
• Designing and delivering a digital publication which can be produced in physical form at a later date.
Due to the Covid -19 restrictions and to its effect on society in general, we welcome flexibility and ideas around how the exhibion will be produced and displayed.
Skills, experience and competencies required:
• A third level qualification in visual arts practice or in curation.
• Knowledge of the Gaeltacht visual arts. • Experience of managing, displaying and in the care of art work.
• Leadership and managerial skills and experience, in the area of curation in particular.
• Experience in managing budgets.
• Competency in both Irish and English would be an advantage (spoken and written).
• Strong computer skills.
• The ability to work under pressure and as part of a team.
• Strong communication skills.
• Full clean drivers licence.
We welcome applications from individuals, teams or organisations.
Time scale: Mid June to December 2020.
Project budget €20K ( development and production of exhibition)
The budget includes the curator’s fee, travel costs, development and production costs and all other costs pertaining to the production of the digital online exhibition and of the exhibition in a Gaeltacht arts centre.
It is a requirement that the national guidelines on the payment of artists, as laid out by Visual Arts Ireland, are adhered to throughout the process.
Please provide us with the following:
• An expression of interest with a detailed proposal which includes a budget breakdown.
• A current CV with examples of work in this field ( links/stills/digital/reviews/testimonials etc)
• Contact details.
Please address your application to Muireann Ní Dhroighneáin at email@example.com
Deadline: Friday 5pm June 5th 2020.
Futher and useful information
Ealaín na Gaeltachta Arts Strategy , Ealaín na Gaeltachta, 2018-2022 at www.ealain.ie
Údarás na Gaeltachta : http://www.udaras.ie